Weekly Principal’s Newsletter – 2017.08.09
- We had an excellent first day at SLCS! There were a lot of smiling kids, and it was wonderful to see our teachers in their rooms using the talents that God gave them.
- I’ll write a newsletter like this every week, usually on Wednesday. I’ll print hardcopies for the first few weeks, but newsletters will soon be sent via email and accessible through our school website. If you have not already given our office a reliable email address, please do so right away.
- Back-To-School Night is tomorrow, August 10, 6:00-7:30 PM. This is a mandatory meeting for parents and guardians; children should not attend this meeting. You will receive important information from me, the P.T.O., and your child’s teacher.
- All adult volunteers must complete the Safe and Sacred This is an online course which teaches proper protocols on interacting with children. You are not permitted to volunteer at school or drive for field trips without completing Safe and Sacred. If you wish to do this simple training, which takes about an hour, go to: http://dol-in.org/online-safe-environment-training
- The children looked sharp today in their uniforms! Remember that every Wednesday is a White Shirt Wednesday, regardless of the Mass schedule. On the other days of the week, children can choose green or white polo shirts. Also, girls wear jumpers/skirts ONLY on Wednesday, not on the other days of the week. Girls should wear navy pants or shorts tomorrow.
- Our first Mass of the year will be next Tuesday (not Wednesday). Drop off children at Saint Lawrence Church, 820 East Charles Street, between 7:30-7:50 am.
- Please send gym clothes each day that your child has Physical Education class. Gym clothes include tennis shoes (any color), socks (any color), athletic shorts or comfortable pants, and the grey Saint Lawrence activity t-shirt.
Note the Physical Education Schedule (it’s different from last year):
Wednesday: All students have PE
Thursday: Grades K, 1, 4 and 5 have PE
Friday: Grades 2 and 3 have PE
- Parents did an excellent job of sending a sack lunch and drink today. Every child had a packed lunch with them. Send a lunch with your child tomorrow and Friday. Remember that packed lunches should not include soda.
- Our first Parent-Teacher Organization (P.T.O.) meeting will be Tuesday, August 22. Participating in P.T.O. events is a fun and easy way to be a part of your child’s school community. The meeting is held at school, it begins at 6:30 and ends at 7:30.
- Next Friday, August 18, is the first of our six early-release days this year. Children will be dismissed at 1:00 and can be picked up at that time. Any child not picked up by 1:15 will go to After-School Care and be charged the $6 fee. Once in After-School Care, students may stay until 5:30 (the regular end time for After-School Care).
- There is a benefit concert on Friday, August 18. Paul Todd and Paul Todd, Jr., renowned musical performers, are coming to Saint Lawrence Church. There will be a free will donation, money raised will support our school. Please plan to attend and invite family, friends, neighbors and colleagues. Concert is 7:00-9:00 pm.
- If you or someone you know wants a Saint Lawrence bumper sticker, stop by the office and pick up a free one.
- We welcomed 25 new students today, along with 31 returning students! I would like to express my gratitude for trusting us with your child’s education, both academically and through faith formation. When you dropped off your child this morning at Saint Lawrence, you showed the world that you believe in the quality of our school. Your trust in our teachers, our mission, and me is truly appreciated.